Fans in attendance will have a chance to stop by the Fanbase Press booth to pick up copies of the 2018 Eisner Award-nominated Quince, the multiple award-winning Quince: The Definitive Bilingual Edition hardcover, and 2022 International Latino Book Award-winning Nuclear Power, and the 2022 Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Award finalist - Ripple Effects!
Fanbase Press' Programming
Fanbase Press and its staff and creators will be hosting and participating in a number of thought-provoking panels throughout the weekend:
5:00 p.m.: Comic Book Networking Event - Take a break from hectic convention life to experience speed dating-style networking with Pornsak Pichetshote (The Good Asian), Henry Barajas (Creepshow), Barbra Dillon (Fanbase Press), Moni Barrette (2023 Eisner Awards Judge), Mairghread Scott (The Serpent's Heir), Charlie Stickney (The Adept), Alex Antone (Skybound), Arune Singh (Skybound), Mathias Lewis (Knowhere Comics & Games), and Jack Phoenix. Room: 206B
2:30 p.m.: Defining “Syzygy”: What’s Coming Up for the Image Imprint in 2023 Beyond - Syzygy Publishing, the imprint run by Chris Ryall and Ashley Wood, launched in 2022 with Joe Hill’s Rain and an array of other titles. Chris Ryall, David M. Booher (Rain writer), Ethan Sacks, Jordan Hart (Fanbase Press' Ripple Effects), and Arka Ray discuss what was, what is, and what will be for the avant-garde imprint, featuring a wide array of artwork, along with plenty of announcements. Come for the Tales of Syz and stay for, well, an explanation of just what “Tales of Syz” means! Room: 208
3:30 p.m.: I'm in the Nerd Business - Thinking of turning your fandom into a business serving your geek community, but don’t know where to start? A panel of media, retail, and streaming entrepreneurs whose businesses serve nerds discuss how their ideas blossomed into a business and how they serve this vibrant nerdy community in an increasingly crowded and competitive marketplace. Room: 300C
6:00 p.m.: Fanbase Press' 30th Anniversary Retrospective on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The hosts of Fanbase Press' flagship podcast, The Fanbase Weekly, present a 30th anniversary retrospective on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Justin Robinson (writer, The Future Will Be Carpeted: An Analysis of Deep Space Nine), Erik Amaya (editor-in-chief, Comicon.com), Ashley V. Robinson (co-host, Geek History Lesson podcast), and Matt and John Yuan (deputy publishers, 1First Comics) and moderator Bryant Dillon (president, Fanbase Press) will examine the plot, characters, themes, and massive impact of this innovative entry to the Star Trek franchise. Room: 213CD
10:00 a.m.: The Writers Block: Comics State of the Union — Where do comics go from here? As publishing recovers from the massive impact of COVID, titanic shifts are happening in the comics landscape. David Avallone and Rylend Grant, co-hosts of the award-winning Writers Block podcast, interview a panel of seasoned comics professionals about the current state of the industry. They’ll discuss the scandals, the controversies, the challenges, and possible solutions. Joining them are Charlie Stickney (White Ash), David Booher (Canto), Ray Anthony Height (Star Wars: Doctor Aphra), and Barbra Dillon (Fanbase Press). Room 209
11:00 a.m.: What Does Healthy Queer Representation in Comics Look Like? — Led by Barbra Dillon (editor-in-chief, Fanbase Press), this panel will provide a thoughtful conversation that goes far beyond the fact that representation is necessary. Featuring David M. Booher (writer, Killer Queens), Ashley V. Robinson (co-writer, Jupiter Jet), Tilly Bridges (writer, Trans Tuesdays), and Kayden Phoenix (writer, A La Brava), the conversation will include how each panelist defines "healthy" queer representation, whether it's necessary to only tackle the positive stories and aspects of life, and much more. Room 213CD
12:30 p.m.: The Psychology and Celebration of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm — The hosts of The Arkham Sessions celebrate the 30th anniversary of the beloved animated film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Podcast hosts Brian Ward and Dr. Drea Letamendi (Fandom) will treat the audience to a conversation with the film's co-director, Eric Radomski (Batman: The Animated Series), as well as with Londyn Jackson (History of the Batman) and Ashley Victoria Robinson (Geek History Lesson) as they "unmask," explore, and pay tribute to the storytelling of Batman, the Joker, and of course, the Phantasm! Room 300C
Fanbase Press' Creator Signing Schedule
Friday, July 22
3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.: Jordan Hart (creator/writer/colorist, Ripple Effects)
Saturday, July 23
2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Norm Harper (writer, The Sequels)
4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.: Jordan Hart (creator/writer/colorist, Ripple Effects)
Sunday, July 24
12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.: Desirée Proctor and Erica Harrell (co-writers, Nuclear Power)
1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.: Jordan Hart (creator/writer/colorist, Ripple Effects)
Indie Creators in Attendance
In addition, you will not want to miss the other indie creators, writers, artists, and publishers who will be exhibiting their work at the convention. (Special thanks to Don Nguyen for compiling the below graphic, highlight so many incredible indie creators in attendance at WonderCon this year!)
- Craig Miller will be in Artist's Alley (Table A-30), where he'll be selling and signing copies of his book, Star Wars Memories, and selling several different original crew patches, buttons, set "passports," and similar items from Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.
- Writer/Artist Livio Ramondelli (Transformers, Star Wars) will be in Artist Alley at table B-08 selling prints and taking commissions.
- Writer Charlie Stickney (The Adept, White Ash) will be at Booth 1208 with David Byrne. In addition, be sure to stop by the booth on Friday and Saturday to meet writers Ethan Kogan and Jessica Silvetti who will host a Shockeaded Peter pop-up event.
- Writer Russell Nohelty will be in Small Press (Table SP-30) with Jessica Maison from Wicked Tree Press and Matt Harry from Codex Arcanum.
- Boston Metaphysical Society will be in Small Press (Table SP-93), where Volume 2 will make its first appearance at WonderCon. They will also have Volume 1, The Ghost Ship Audio Drama, and more! Come by for steampunk goodness.
- Allen Carter of Carter Comics will be in Small Press (SP-105) with both copies of his travel-parody series, Damn Tourists (with a new sixth issue for the show), and limited copies of his six-issue sci-fi/ adventure series, Cosmic Force, in two trade paperbacks. In addition, Mr. Carter will be participating in a Convention Treasure Hunt, hosted by Artist Don Nguyen at AA E-24. Mr. Carter's Treasure Hunt prize offering will be custom-made postcard fridge magnets featuring his Damn Tourist characters. Last but not least, he will have original comic book art on display through his portfolio, with art from both the recently completed Damn Tourists issue six, and the first 13 pages of Cosmic Force issue seven (which he will be ending after issue 8).
- Writer/artist Nathanial Osollo will be at Artist Alley (table B-22)m offering limited commission spots prior to the show.
- Writer Nicholas Doan will be in Small Press (Table SP-62) with copies of Monster Elementary, Daisy Cassidy, and available for the first time ever, The Kid and The Ripper!
Writer/artist Don Nguyen will be in Artist Alley (Table E-24) with a number of exclusive and limited print run books!
- The Comic Arts Professional Society (CAPS) will be at booth 2280.
Please visit the WonderCon website to purchase your tickets for this exciting event.
Everyone at Fanbase Press is greatly looking forward to the convention, and we hope to see you there!